03 Apr The Learning Hub: Issue 03
In this week’s issue…
Basics of Online Learning – Visual Notes
One of our many friends from the Education Technology Users Group (ETUG),Ã‚Â Jason Toal, Interaction Specialist with SFU’s Teaching and Learning Centre, attended the bc campus webinar held last week on The Basics of Online Learning. Not only did he attend but he took some visual notes and wrote a short summary on it. Ã‚Â Have a read!
Facilitating Synchronous Online Learning with Blackboard Collaborate
Co-Presented by Junsong Zhang, Instructional Designer, and Naz Maghsoudi, Student & Faculty Development Coordinator.
By the end of this webinar, you will be able to:
- Utilize Blackboard Collaborate for online teaching
- Recognize the affordances and constraints of synchronous online learning platforms
- List different phases and best practices in a synchronous online class
- Identify elements that impact online learning experiences
We are offering this webinar twice this week (1 hour presentation with 30mins Q&A):
- Tuesday, April 7th, 2020 from 11am to 12:30pm
- Thursday, April 9th, 2020 from 1:30pm to 3:00pm
Register for your session here.
Basic Recommendations for Pivoting Online #AskBCcampus
Click on the arrow above for more recommendations.
JIBC RESOURCES & SUPPORT
- Read this great article to come out from FemTechNet.org: Feminist Pedagogy in a Time of Coronavirus Pandemic
- Instructor Transition Course (Blackboard): This course has some useful resources for faculty whoÃ‚Â want to teach online such as Blackboard Help, Video Conferencing Help, andÃ‚Â fundamentals of online teaching. If you have not been enrolled in this resource siteÃ‚Â please email firstname.lastname@example.org and we will give you access.
- Blackboard Training
BC Campus Resources
Upcoming events hosted by bc campus:
- Developing Inclusive Learning Online:Ã‚Â BCcampus invites any educators needing support in developing inclusive learning online to drop in with their challenges, and/or to hear othersÃ¢â‚¬â„¢ challenges and solutions.
Tuesday, April 7th, 2020 at 11AM to 12PM – For more information and to register click here.
- Meditation with Mary Burgess: Join Mary Burgess, BCcampusÃ¢â‚¬â„¢ Executive Director, for guided meditation, support, community, and a dance party. LetÃ¢â‚¬â„¢s lift each other up!
Wednesday, April 8th, 2020 at 8:30AM to 9:30AM – For more information and to register click here.
- Facilitating Synchronous Online Sessions: During thisÃ‚Â one-hour session, we will cover some of the best practicesÃ‚Â for planning, facilitating, and tools in the online, live space.
Wednesday, April 8th, 2020 at 2PM to 3PM – For more information and to register click here.
- The Basics of Online Learning: As everyone is pivoting online, youÃ¢â‚¬â„¢ve been hearing about asynchronous vs synchronous, BlueJeans, Collaborate, Zoom Ã¢â‚¬â€ and what is an LMS, anyway? If these are the kinds of questions you have, this drop-in session is for you.
Thursday, April 9th, 2020 at 12PM to 1PM – For more information and to register click here.
We’re still in the early days for pivoting learning online –
it’s best to practice simplicity,Ã‚Â empathy, and compassion. #AskBCcampus
Click on the image below to watch a video of some of JIBC’s memorable moments over the last few months.
TIPS & TRICKS
- Remember! Less is more. Don’t try to translate everything you do in class to online. It will end up being a lot of work for you and overwhelming for the learner.
Don’t forget to stretch in your home office! It’s important to still keep up with your daily movement routines. We do!
Want some one-on-one help? Have something specific you need assistance with? Reach out to the CTLI team by emailing us at email@example.com.