23 Jul The Learning Hub: Issue 66
Ã‚Â© Kavita George
In this week’s issue…
ItÃ¢â‚¬â„¢s Now: Designing and Using Immersive Simulations for Learning
By Junsong Zhang, Program Manager, SimulationsÃ‚Â
Virtual reality or immersive simulations for learning is no longer something to be imagined or planned in the future. If you have not done a project like this yet, the best time to start is now.
About two years ago, I had the chance to present Ã¢â‚¬Å“Virtual Reality for Public Safety TrainingÃ¢â‚¬Â at JIBC Open Symposium. After introducing relevant pedagogical significance, examples, research on effectiveness, and future opportunities, I landed on a question for the audience, Ã¢â‚¬Å“What would be the problem you want to solve with emerging technology like VR?Ã¢â‚¬Â
The responses were fueled with enthusiasm and revealed a wide range of applications and practices that JIBC could benefit from. Just to name a few:
- Ã¢â‚¬Å“simulate a patrolling scenario in downtown eastsideÃ¢â‚¬Â
- Ã¢â‚¬Å“access correction centers and walk around the buildingsÃ¢â‚¬Â
- Ã¢â‚¬Å“build empathy by living and acting like someone elseÃ¢â‚¬Â
CTLI is excited to announce that Junsong Zhang (Jun) is JIBC’s new Simulation Manager. Jun brings his expertise to simulation design and development, including Augmented, Virtual and Mixed Reality (AR/VR/MR), 360 immersive video and Praxis cloud-based simulations. Along with these responsibilities Jun will also guide the pilot implementation of e-portfolios and Work Integrated Learning (WIL) with JIBC Schools.
Jun holds a Master of Education from the University of British Columbia and a Master of Digital Media from the Center for Digital Media. He is passionate about transforming learning experiences with digital technology, delivering user-centred products and solutions, fostering personal and professional development, and improving team collaboration and performance in complex environments.
Contact Jun to immerse yourself in the world of simulation.
Did you know the library has specialized streaming video collections to help our students learn and understand theirÃ‚Â uniqueÃ‚Â fields?Ã‚Â Explore the sample collections below to find course content, study videos, and extra materials for your students.Ã‚Â Ã‚Â
- Fire Engineering Streaming Video LibraryÃ‚Â
- In the Line of DutyÃ‚Â
- Ontario Police Video Training Alliance (OPVTA)Ã‚Â
View the full list of our streaming media collections on theÃ‚Â A-Z Databases: Streaming Media Page.Ã‚Â
Upcoming CTLI Virtual Drop-in Sessions
Come meet us in Collaborate! Bring your Blackboard, Collaborate, Kaltura and other teaching & learning questions!
- Thursday, August 5, 2021 from 12pm to 1pm
- Thursday, August 12, 2021 from 12pm to 1pm
- Use of Augmented Reality in Education: tools, apps and …
- Praxis: An Online Simulation Training Environment for Scenario-Based Real-Time Decision-Making at the Justice Institute of British Columbia, British Columbia
- Newest Educational Virtual Reality Games & Experiences
- VRARA NYC Chapter “Boat Mixer” – Hosted by Worldwide TechServices
To RSVP, email Cindy Mallory email@example.com
- Digital Twins – Blending XR with IoT and AI/ML (Online Event)
Evolving Immersive Technology experiences have at one end a simple mobile Augmented Reality (AR) app and at the other end a Metaverse. The in-between world is full of mixed reality, virtual reality, multisensory reality, digital twins, mini-metaverses ++So what are digital twins – these are an exact virtual model /representation of a physical object or a systemWhat happens when you put sensors on the physical entity and connect it to it’s digital twin. You create data points from the physical entity which can be used to track not only it’s current but also future performance. Add some elements of Artificial Intelligence (AI) /Machine Learning (ML) and .what happens next. Tue, Aug 3, 2021, 11:00 PM Ã¢â‚¬â€œ Wed, Aug 4, 2021, 12:00 AM
- VR/AR Global Summit ONLINE – Fall 2021
The VR/AR Global Summit Online is a virtual conference, brought to you by the VR/AR Association, connecting the best virtual reality and augmented reality solution providers with enterprise and media entertainment companies.This summit will bring together some of the worldÃ¢â‚¬â„¢s greatest designers, hardware manufactures, software developers, marketers, end-users, and entrepreneurs to share ideas, best practices, network, and get business done. This will be a great year of VR and AR content for the world! Sep 29 1:00 AM to Sep 30 10:00 PM PDT
BCcampus Upcoming Events
Finding, Using, and Sharing Open Educational Resources
This webinar will provide an introduction to how to find, use, and share open educational resources (OERs). Are you new to open education and not sure where to start? Or are you just starting your own OER project and wondering where to find other openly licenced materials and what to do with them? This webinar will answer all these questions by providing an introduction to open education and OERs, discussing copyright and Creative Commons licenses, and going over how you can find, use, and OERs.
This event is free. To ensure we have an inclusive and welcoming environment for all, weÃ¢â‚¬â„¢ve added registration to all our sessions.
August 11, 2021, 10:00 am Ã¢â‚¬â€œ 11:00 am | Register Here
Accessibility and Universal Design in Open Educational Resources
We will talk about how to design open educational resources so they are inclusive and accessible for all. This will include an overview of the technical considerations of digital accessibility for things like text, videos, and images.
August 18, 2021 @ 10:00 am Ã¢â‚¬â€œ 11:00 am | Register Here
Introduction to Pressbooks
Learn how to use Pressbooks to create and share open educational resources with students and fellow educators. It allows you to create educational resources that can be easily shared, maintained, and accessed across multiple devices, downloaded, or printed.
August 25, 2021 @ 10:00 am Ã¢â‚¬â€œ 11:00 am | Register Here
FLO Friday: Teaching with a Trauma-Informed Lens
This one-hour session will give an overview of what trauma-informed teaching is and why it is effective. We will provide some concrete examples of classroom situations and how to apply trauma-informed teaching strategies.
September 3, 2021 @ 11:00 am Ã¢â‚¬â€œ 12:00 pm | Register Here
Facilitating Synchronous Online Learning with Collaborate Webinar
- Watch a recording of the workshop here
- Follow along with a copy of the slides
- Suggestions for Synchronous Online Learning (PDF)
Pivoting to Online
- Faculty Online Readiness Quiz
- Instructional Continuity Checklist for Faculty
- Watch a Recording of a Collaborate Training Workshop
- Instructor Transition Course
- Blackboard Help | For Faculty | For Students
Pivoting to Online
- Blackboard Training Workshops for LESD/BLES and PBDLES (Recordings):
- Workshop 1: CourseÃ‚Â Template, Announcements, Discussions and Uploading Content
- Workshop 2: Assignments & Groups
- Workshop 3: Tests & The Basics of the Grade Centre
- Workshop 4: Blackboard Grade Center Part 1 – Introduction
- Workshop 4: Blackboard Grade CentreÃ‚Â Part 2 – Set up
- Workshop 5: Blackboard Collaborate
- Workshop 6: Kaltura
Want some one-on-one help? Have something specific you need assistance with? Reach out to the CTLI team by emailing us at firstname.lastname@example.org.