14 Jul The Learning Hub: Issue 64
In this week’s issue…
Enhanced Flexibility in Our Classes
By Dave Smulders, Program Manager, Faculty Development at CTLI
But as soon as the dean started yesterday, I sensed trouble. He started talking about the need for the department to be more Ã¢â‚¬ËœflexibleÃ¢â‚¬â„¢ in its teaching. What the hell does that mean Ã¢â‚¬â€œ yoga exercises at the beginning of each lecture? (Bates, 2019)
Last week, the good people atÃ‚Â BCcampusÃ‚Â organized a Ã¢â‚¬Å“microcourseÃ¢â‚¬Â calledÃ‚Â Getting Started with Hybrid andÃ‚Â HyFlexÃ‚Â Learning. The course is Ã¢â‚¬Å“microÃ¢â‚¬Â in the sense that itÃ¢â‚¬â„¢s a short offeringÃ‚Â — only a week longÃ‚Â –with a mix of online synchronous (facilitator-led sessions conducted on the Big Blue Button video-conferencingÃ‚Â platform) and asynchronous activitiesÃ‚Â (threaded discussions and resource sharing). The course is part ofÃ‚Â BCcampusÃ¢â‚¬â„¢s Facilitating Learning Online seriesÃ‚Â ofÃ‚Â microcourses, courses, and webinars, and it drew attendance of about 70 educators from across Canada and at least one participant from South America. On my rough count, there were at least five of us representing the Justice Institute of BC.Ã‚Â Read More
Portable Voice AmplifierÃ‚Â
TheÃ‚Â LibraryÃ‚Â is now lending a PortableÃ‚Â VoiceÃ‚Â AmplifierÃ‚Â toÃ‚Â helpÃ‚Â amplifyÃ‚Â instructorÃ¢â‚¬â„¢sÃ‚Â voices who areÃ‚Â teachingÃ‚Â whileÃ‚Â wearing a mask. The amplifier projects your voiceÃ‚Â louder and furtherÃ‚Â to ensureÃ‚Â your students can hear and understand you even with a mask on.Ã‚Â You can find the amplifier on theÃ‚Â Library’sÃ‚Â equipment lending page, as well as on ourÃ‚Â AV equipment booking formÃ‚Â on the intranet.Ã‚Â
Upcoming CTLI Virtual Drop-in Sessions
Come meet us in Collaborate! Bring your Blackboard, Collaborate, Kaltura or other teaching & learning questions!
- Thursday, July 22, 2021 from 12pm to 1pm
- Thursday, July 29, 2021 from 12pm to 1pm
Our lead article above highlights a few key resources related to flexible course modalities like Hybrid and HyFlex. If you are new to the subject and need a quick primer without getting overloaded, the following resources will get you started:
- Flexxing Your Teaching Infographic (an awesome resource created by CTLI).
- Bates, T. (2015).Ã‚Â Teaching in a digitalÃ‚Â ageÃ¢â‚¬Â¯:Ã‚Â guidelines for designing teaching and learning for a digital age.Ã‚Â BCcampusÃ‚Â Open Textbooks. Retrieved fromÃ‚Â https://pressbooks.bccampus.ca/teachinginadigitalagev2/Ã‚Â
- Beatty, B. J.Ã‚Â (2019).Ã‚Â Hybrid-Flexible Course Design: Implementing student-directed hybrid classesÃ‚Â (1st ed.). EdTech Books. Retrieved fromÃ‚Â https://edtechbooks.org/hyflexÃ‚Â Ã‚Â
- CAST (n.d.)Ã‚Â About Universal Design for Learning.Ã‚Â https://www.cast.org/impact/universal-design-for-learning-udlÃ‚Â Ã‚Â
- Freire, P. (1970). The banking model of education. InÃ‚Â Provenzo, E. F. (2006). Critical Issues in Education: An Anthology of Readings.Ã‚Â SAGE Publications (CA).Ã‚Â
- Hayman, J. (2020).Ã‚Â HyFlexÃ‚Â Teaching: A promising model for uncertain times.Ã‚Â College Administrator. Vol. 15, No. 2. Retrieved fromÃ‚Â http://ocasa.on.ca/wp-content/uploads/2020/11/OCASA-2020-College-Administrator-Digital-Fall.pdfÃ‚Â Ã‚Â
- Saichaie, K. (2020). Blended, Flipped, and Hybrid Learning: Definitions, Developments, and Directions.Ã‚Â New Directions for Teaching and Learning,Ã‚Â 164, 95Ã¢â‚¬â€œ104.Ã‚Â Ã‚Â
If you want to get into the swing of things for adding flexibility to your courses, get inspired by this playlist https://open.spotify.com/playlist/5amydXPa6lqUZQ3fESAJ9l?si=d7bb1ba6615f4f70Ã‚Â Ã‚Â
- FREE Virtual Event – OER: WhatÃ¢â‚¬â„¢s Next? Equity & Diversity
Join Ann Fiddler and Dr. Rebecca Karoff for a panel focusing on what is next for OER concerning equity and diversity. Event hosted by the CJCLS OER Committee. Use the link at the bottom to register for the first of the special series.
Thursday, July 22, 2021 @ 1:00 PM PT | Register Here
- Teaching Professor Conference – Magna Publications – For those that prefer not to travel weÃ¢â‚¬â„¢re offering a virtual conference that captures the spirit of the Teaching Professor Conference. It features on-demand access to conference plenary sessions along with on-demand delivery of the most popular concurrent sessions. ThereÃ¢â‚¬â„¢s even an opportunity for you to network with others!
- 2021 Leadership in Higher Education Conference
The Leadership in Higher Education Conference helps new and experienced higher education leaders learn innovative strategies, trends, and best practices for effectively managing staff and resources. In a welcoming environment that fosters learning and collaboration, the Leadership in Higher Education Conference provides actionable strategies to help participants improve efficiency and effectiveness in their positions, and to network with like-minded peers facing similar challenges.
October 11 – December 31, 2021, 8:00 am – 11:55 pm | Register Here
BCcampus Upcoming Events
FLO MicroCourse: Authentic and Alternative Assessments
During this micro-course, you will have the opportunity to discuss and explore the purpose of assessments and how to prioritize outcomes, and you will dabble in some evaluation criteria and rubrics.
July 19, 2021 Ã¢â‚¬â€œ July 23, 2021, 9Ã¢â‚¬â€œ10 a.m. PST | Register Here
Cooking with H5P: The Project Banquet
A key component of the next phase of open education work for BCcampus is the enhancement of the existing open textbook collection through the development of open homework systems. In our upcoming H5P webinar, we’re excited to see the results of this work!
July 29, 2021, 9:00 am Ã¢â‚¬â€œ 10:00 am | Register Here
Finding, Using, and Sharing Open Educational Resources
This webinar will provide an introduction to how to find, use, and share open educational resources (OERs). Are you new to open education and not sure where to start? Or are you just starting your own OER project and wondering where to find other openly licenced materials and what to do with them? This webinar will answer all these questions by providing an introduction to open education and OERs, discussing copyright and Creative Commons licenses, and going over how you can find, use, and OERs.
This event is free. To ensure we have an inclusive and welcoming environment for all, weÃ¢â‚¬â„¢ve added registration to all our sessions.
August 11, 2021, 10:00 am Ã¢â‚¬â€œ 11:00 am | Register Here
Want some one-on-one help? Have something specific you need assistance with? Reach out to the CTLI team by emailing us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Facilitating Synchronous Online Learning with Collaborate Webinar
Pivoting to Online